Saturday, December 17, 2005

seeing the beautiful in the simple...

Am in a weird mood tonight...it's past midnight...and my mind is crystal clear...it seems to possess a clarity that eludes me most days:)

These days, it seems, as we all get older...we are becoming more and more jaded...weary from all that weighs us down. As our experiences grow, our idealism fades...as our careers progress, seemingly our ability to dream declines. Is it simply me?...or do others see the same? It seems the more I learn about this world...the more the realistic side of me yearns to break free...because that is how I see this world we live in...as a place filled with too many realists, and too few dreamers. I prefer to dream...

Sometimes I feel that the more we accept what life has to offer and settle, so to speak, for the cards we are dealt...it seems we lose, bit by bit, without our noticing, our ability to appreciate the beauty of possibilities...to be able to see something that isn't...and be able to ask "why not?" You see, a child...without knowing even a fraction of what I do...can peer out at the world...and see it for what it is...a mysterious place...where what we know is only an infinitesimal percentage of what we could know...where the power of nature is not simply reduced to sound bites on the daily news hour...where the brilliance of the sunset is not reduced to the physics of light refraction or more importantly, obscured by the urge to beat rush-hour traffic. For that child...he retains the ability to ask why?...and why not?...and still marvel at the beauty of it all...and to imagine a vast world of possibilities...and not one restrained by limitations. So, perhaps in a way, we are all dying a little bit each day...

For me...as silly as some may think I am...I prefer to dream...and that, in my humble opinion, is a beautiful thing... :) I hope I never lose that...

No comments: