Friday, December 30, 2005

karaoke and human psych...

Weird juxtaposition of words, eh? Went to karaoke for the first time (and hopefully last time:P) in my life yesterday...good thing I had my pocket pc to rescue me:) Actually, not that bad...there were five of us in a room...pretty expensive, especially for a non-singer...well, I do sing...but thankfully for the rest of civilization, not in public...so in my humble opinion, it is more economical to sing in the shower...it's free, there are no witnesses (as the running water drowns out any evidence of this occurrence)...and best yet, one is clean afterwards...nothing like killing achieving multiple ends...now that is what I call efficiency!...but I digress. The silly thing about it was we were charged for hot water!...gotta love that! Went to Railway Club after dinner...that is a cool place! Live music...a dude named Chin was playing...the main act didn't show up (turned out for the better though)...good ol' rock...with some gospel/rap mixed in...really cool, can't say enough about that:)

Now, human psychology:P...have always considered myself somewhat of a hack in this domain...but it is immensely interesting to observe other people. There are a number of reasons for this: 1) by seeing how people react in different situations gives me an idea about what kind of people they are - I believe that our actions define who we are; and 2) by learning about others and what they do, we can learn about ways to make ourselves better and/or learn from their mistakes. You see...I have learned many lessons the hard way in my life...and hopefully, at least in the last few years, I have grown up a bit...I hope I can learn differently. By being a student of history, both of my own and of others, I hope I can be smarter...if that is possible:P...as some say I have no hope in that category either:(

Anyhow...of the five of us there, 3 girls and 2 guys...I knew everyone except for a couple...the guy was a poster boy for, what I call, "little big man syndrome"...for those who aren't familiar with this...typically it occurs in individuals of smaller physical stature (although he wasn't that short)...it seems that they compensate, sometimes overly so, by speaking and laughing louder than others...trying to exert their alpha male status...having to dominate all forms of conversation, irrespective of whether they are knowledgeable in this area or not...and generally speaking, have to demonstrate their "big man" status... How was that for a psych profile...ok, ok, I may be a bit stereotypical here...:P

Truthfully, I got more than enough of this last night...this example I thought was very interesting...the guy's gf really wanted to go to a club after dinner (this was at 8:30 pm or so)...I dislike clubs (they seem to be like meat markets to me, but that discussion is for another day, methinks) but was ok with the idea...after all, in certain venues, alcohol is my best friend:P The other girls liked the idea too...but he, citing the fact that the stock markets opened early so he had to be up at 5 am the next morning...nixed the idea...his gf (along with the others) were clearly disappointed...despite my "gentle" suggestion that we go for a short time close to his place, he was adamant about this - I gave up (some battles aren't worth fighting...a sign of maturity OR a sign of my being intimidated...who knows?:P)...so we went to the Railway Club for some drinks instead...at 11:30 pm, when we left...this individual and his gf were still there...like I said, interesting...

Ok, enough of sharing the garbage in my brain for the day...

No comments: