Thursday, February 01, 2007

interesting few days...

Ha! The week is almost over...can't wait for the weekend...oh wait...what will I be doing this weekend? Oh right! Have to study and prepare for my workshop next week...sigh! Such is my mundane existence...

Had a half day seminar on diversity today...kinda interesting. To be honest...actually I said this to the instructor of the course during the class...prior to attending...I chalked this one up as another one of those required courses for new hires...another class to snooze through...where ppl will simply teach one the obvious...nothing more, nothing less...so to say that I wasn't bouncing out of my bed this morning...well, that would be an understatement!:P

Well...straight to the matter...I was WRONG! The session was facilitated by someone from a consulting company...he has been doing this sort of training for 17+ years...and to be frank, I learned something. Nothing specifically to enable me to act more professionally...though there were discussions regarding the usual suspects: race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, etc. However...one point stuck with me...and this is true at work and also in one's personal life...it is the results that matter...intentions are important...but the things that impact other's perceptions and reactions...they are the products of those intentions. Of course, everyone can think of examples whereby one's intentions, though good, ended in less than ideal results. Honestly, I knew this...but sometimes I find...not just in this area, but when someone vocalizes an idea that I am aware of...it somehow brings it to the fore in my mind...not sure how to explain it better...

In other news, I was once again rejected at the DMV. Once (if) I get my license, I will be happy never to set foot in the $*&!)^ office again!!! Scheduled my road test on Wednesday...arrived there with my rental car...the main reason for this is that I had to return the loaner that afternoon...thus I would not have to try to find a parking space afterwards (as this is next to impossible during work hours)...it was a brilliant plan (if I say so myself:P)...but the execution left something to be desired! Unfortunately, though DMV states in their handbook a rental car is allowed, Hertz does not permit this...I have to admit partial blame for this...as I assumed it would be fine! But nonetheless...it was a nice drive in the middle of the afternoon...since I don't have better things to do... :)

No comments: