Sunday, February 04, 2007

for one more day (mitch albom)...

Very funny...can't remember the last time I read a book cover to cover in one sitting...I did with this one...it's not long...less than 200 pages...but finished it rather quickly. Albom's latest book is not his best...I am still quite partial to The Five People You Meet in Heaven.

Perhaps b/c certain aspects of this story was close to my heart...not sure. It is simple enough...it is the story of a man who wants to end his own life...but through an event, came to have the chance (real or imagined) to spend one more day with his mom. I won't give away too much of the story...but it does raise an important question. In this age where we spend so much time concentrating on our work...our goals...timelines...accumulating more material wealth...do we sometimes forget those who are dear to us? Do we take those ppl for granted?...b/c they have always been there...and with our internal logic...they will still be there tomorrow... And so day after day, we keep using this to comfort ourselves...while we concentrate on the "important" things...b/c there will always be time...once I finish what I am doing right now... I cannot speak for anyone else...but I am guilty...and perhaps this is why this simple story captured my attention for this brief moment...

No comments: