Thursday, February 08, 2007

stanford workshop...

Attended a workshop at Stanford on Tuesday...was an interesting (albeit much too short) trip. After my road test on Monday (which amounted to a couple of times around the block:P) and a meeting...was off to LAX and SF...arrived at SFO around 845 pm...100 bucks later (was charged a 50% premium for going to Palo Alto (actually went to Mountain View first)...with a cab driver who was arguing with his wife about his tax return and lamenting to me about his choice of spouse)...finally met up with some friends for a late dinner/dessert. Was nice...though too short once again...met P's bf and his brother...and Kiwi and little guy too...btw, congrats on your new upcoming arrival...

A short snooze later...7 am Tuesday morning...walked over to the campus...got lost a few times...but finally found my way over to the right building. The session was very good...better than most conferences I have attended...only 12 attendees...2 research fellows from the medical school, 2 reps from AD Instruments and a researcher from one of the rodent transplant labs...learned a great deal...technically and theoretically...very cool indeed. One of funny moments happened as I left...a scientist from a Vancouver company asked me if I was interested in returning home...since she felt that it was always hard to find good ppl...I was a bit flattered...it was a nice compliment. I suppose she was paying attention when I was giving the tech guys a "hard" time about ECG software...maybe she thought I actually knew what I was talking about...haha...little does she know:P Immediately afterwards, it was back to the hotel to catch the shuttle (since it was cheaper than taking the yellow cab!). Well, my ride came...instead of a van, it turned out to be a Mercedes...and I was the only passenger...go figure:)

One thing I have to rant about...I absolutely hate LAX...was delayed in SFO for 1 hr b/c of weather conditions in LA...which is fair...but the place is crazy...had to wait for 1 hr for the shuttle (despite having made reservations in advance)...when the shuttle came, the driver decided to spend another 25 mins circling around LAX 3 times to try to rassle up more passengers...so for a 730 pm flight out of SFO, I returned home at 1230 am...the crappy thing is that the flight itself tok 57 mins:(

No comments: