Monday, November 06, 2006

interesting day...

Well...after a 5 am wakeup and having my roomie drag himself out of bed to drive me to the airport...thanks Wayland!!!...I am sitting in my hotel room in Thousand Oaks.

I'm a morning person...but 5 am is too early...and am really tired...my mind is tired...I will be glad tomorrow when I am walking away from Building 27 at Amgen. To be honest, don't think my chances are that good...but this has been an interesting experience. Amgen is first class all the way...but before I get there...will take a step back in time:)

6 am at YVR was a busy time...not what I expected...it was pretty busy...lining up to go through US Customs was 3 rows deep. When I got to the customs officer...had the usual questions...where are you going?...why?...so I told him that I was going to an interview...so he asked me where I was going to work?...the US. Well, he clearly wasn't happy about that...muttered something about Canadians taking jobs away...and the TN situation getting out of hand, as the US government was handing out too many...then he gave me my documents and let me go on my way:)

The driver waiting for me at LAX...was a really great fellow...made the hour ride to my hotel more interesting...told me a little about the importance of family values, about raising kids (he was two sons: one a doctor and the other has a MBA; both working in the OC)...about learning something from everyone...

On to my area tour...Amgen arranges for a local company to show all their interviewees around the area (3 hr tour)...with an emphasis on personalizing the experience to the hobbies, lifestyle, etc of the individual. So I got a tour of the city and the surrounding areas...now I know Wayne Gretzky lives at Sherwood Lake:) We also stopped off at Trader Joe's to buy chocolate...I'm sure that was part of her itinerary:P...actually I convinced her that my need for "chocolate clouds" from the store was paramount to be mental wellbeing:P All in all, a very enjoyable afternoon...if only I wasn't so tired:(

But enough chitchat...have to eat...and then study a bit...will be a big day tomorrow...the worst thing is that I have to wear a suit:( Time to work how to convince the braintrust at Amgen that I am suitable for the village idiot position:P

No comments: