Thursday, August 16, 2007

Perseids...

For the first time in a long while...went outside on Sunday night and stared at the sky. It was the night that the Perseids, as they appear to originate from the Perseus constellation, would be the most numerous.

The last time I went to look at a meteor shower at night...I still remember well...to see the Leonids...at 4 am in the morning...at my old place on Lonsdale. I remember waking up and going with my little sis to the neighbourhood park and staring at the sky...that was impressive! Made a lot of wishes that night...or perhaps, to be more accurate, made the same wish many times:) But that was a long time ago...many things have changed...some for the better: I no longer have to worry so much about money...whether there would be enough to buy food, pay rent, go to school, etc...some for the worse: not sure if my sis and I will ever do that again. In some ways, I have grown up and in others, away.

As I stood in the middle of the street (and later in the driveway)...I shielded my eyes from the streetlights (that may have seemed strange to the neighbours...since there wasn't anyone else out...or so it seemed). Looking up...I could barely make out the span of the Milky Way, but it was impressive, nonetheless...learned a few constellations...there were thoughts of happiness and regrets...but that's what life is about...but I couldn't help but think...what if things had been different?

And like the grains that bounce off or burn up in the earth's atmosphere...I realized how small I am...and how vast this universe is. I only hope that I too will be able to shine brightly (though I hope it won't be as brief:P)...even if to only one...I think that will be a great thing indeed...

No comments: