Sunday, February 26, 2006

rebuttal for a friend... ;-)

Ha! I knew it! Hopefully you won't feel antagonized by what I have to write...not meant to be personal:)

Morality is a foundation upon which society must never depart from. Martin Luther King Jr. once said that "the time is always right to do what is right"...or something to that extent...forgive me if I quote incorrectly:) On one hand, there are many that believe what you do...that loosening the strings of morality will lead to a terrible end...that one MUST never compromise...no matter what the circumstance. But I implore you to entertain this idea...morality is theoretical (on a certain level)...the problems in society are not. Morality, in and of itself, is dead...how one implements it..that is living...and because of that...one cannot always be inflexible...if we are, then we are no better than those casting their views down from the "ivory tower."

Morality...sometimes, is not a solution...or a means...for me, rather, it is an end. But to achieve that end, I think it is necessary to be flexible at times...otherwise, our eyes are closed, methinks... I am not trying to dissuade you, and others, from your position...however, "real solutions" must be attempted...I will be the first to admit...they may not work...but they have to be tried...maybe my opinion is not the best...but something must be done!!! There is no doubt about the urgency of this matter...irrespective of the consequences! You are right...the HIV infection rates may not decrease...prostitution may not decrease...but it never has...right back to biblical times. We are dealing with living human beings...some may die...and be forgotten...but others will fill their place...as a society, we cannot forget these souls...that, above all, is not right!

So I ask you...what is your solution? I am not asking what your morals are...it doesn't matter whether you are Christian or not. What I propose is not for society to ignore everything...it is for society to do something to help those that most people conveniently forget about. And since you bring religion into this...how can a god blame his followers for trying to help his fellow human being? You present instances in which a country's GDP consists of a large proportion of proceeds from prostitution...that is a policy instituted by that country...it is NOT what I am proposing...and I don't condone the legalization of prostitution...though, in practice, it is almost at that state. To lump a system with little controls with something that consists of "checks and balances," albeit different than the "checks and balances" currently in place...sorry to say this...but it is simply convenient...and short-sighted. I can counter every one of your statements...and your expected outcomes with a more optimistic outlook...but I won't...:P

I think it is time to come down from the tower and make a difference...perhaps the end will show that our differences may not be so great after all...

...just some thoughts:)

No comments: