Tuesday, May 01, 2007

US CBP sucks...

Another day, another rant about the US government...this time about the US Customs and Border Protection...

Finally, today...after calling 25-30 times over the past 5 weeks...I finally spoke to someone live. You see my difficulty with getting through has little to do with getting a busy signal...in fact, I rarely get those. I suppose, with the service center being closed randomly...even during their business hours...it would be difficult to get a busy tone. Almost without exception, I hear a message that claims the center is open from 8 am to 5 pm, eastern time...and then "if you are calling during these hours, the service center is not available." Well, today, I got through...and my conversation went like this...

*************

Me: Would you please send me a copy of customs form 7501, as I would like to register my vehicle with the California DMV and obtain the title to my car? (form 7501 is usually given to the shipping company, but even the CBP admits that this is not absolute)

Agent: You should get this from the shipping company.

Me: I already spoke to the company, they did not receive this from the customs agent.

Agent: Are you sure your car was imported?

Me: Yes!

Agent: How do you know this?

Me: Well, I am driving it in California right now...have been doing so since January.

Agent: But it may not have been imported properly...you may not have the necessary EPA forms.

Me: Ok, but in order for my car to cross the border AND be registered with California DMV, I need to have documentation from the US manufacturer stating the my vehicle complies with all US federal standards of emission and safety. And since it was allowed across the border by the CUSTOMS AND BORDER PROTECTION and subsequently registered with the DMV, doesn't it mean that it satisfied all regulations?

Agent: Well, if that's the case...I still think it wasn't imported properly...you should call the port of entry.

Me: Would it be possible for you to check for me?

Agent: How am I supposed to do that? (Perhaps with a modern invention called a database...though maybe the 21st century skipped certain parts of the govt.)

Me: Would you please give me the numbers that I can call?

Agent: Go to the website and find them yourself.

Me: Oh, ok...well thank you very much (for nothing!).

*************

Ok, perhaps my logic is faulty in this conversation with another esteemed member of the US Govt. workforce...but this blew my mind. I'm going back to my village in Canada!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have had similar problems with CBP, and they all seem to have their heads on backwards.

None of them understand fully immigration laws, despite being DHS officers, and none of them fully understand form HS-7 or 3520-1 of the EPA for importing a car.

It gets annoying, and even more so if you're calm on the phone to them, and then they start getting mad. It is almost like they want you to yell back, but I never do.

In person, it is a different story, one trip to the border, and they were really helpful. Phone, never helpful.

Just makes moving to Washington State to live with my fiancée harder than it should be.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry but CBP agents mot male´s are just ignorant arrogant people without knowledge of what their JOB is, my cas is extremly bigger than yours and have been waiting for help for almos a month and no news so ...people please educate and renew all those individuals protecting your borders